Sunday, July 4, 2010

The time of change has arrived..








We all reach that time in our hobby journey where we start to grow weary of the path we travel. You reach that time when you start to know how to play your army with your eyes closed (regardless of the composition of your list) and for all it's worth, your main army has become stale. You don't love it any less, you still treasure your best painted models, but.. it's just not the same. This is when it becomes abundantly clear that to progress, you must change and grow.





As most of you will know, I have spent the past two months (or there abouts) trying to decide what my next 40K army would be. I have been playing Tau for about three years now, and whilst I love the Tau, and all that the Greater Good stands for, I have realised that it is time to challenge myself. I've gotten to the point where I can almost play the Tau with my eyes closed. I am no longer challenged by playing with what a lot of people consider to be a weak army.


What followed was a long and arduous process of deciding just what army I should start next. I had actually started a Raven Guard army, however I was uncertain as to whether or not it really was the army for me. The lure of newer, shiny codicies was strong. I bought the Space Wolves codex, and also considered Tyranids after borrowing my best mate's codex. Both of these armies have relatively new codicies, both have the ability to be rather competitive, and both function somewhat differently from my Tau. I could not make my mind up after weeks and weeks of reading and pondering. I encountered what I call 'army block', and from my experience, I thought I would provide you with some tips to overcome Army Block should you ever experience it.


Modelling and Painting


Regardless of how good you are at painting or modelling, the fact remains that for the better part, you will be investing a fairly considerable amount of time modelling and painting your army. Do not underestimate the impact that this factor has on your army selection. How long does it take you to paint a miniature to a standard you are happy with? If you're thinking about a horde army, multiply that number by 100 and you will realise just how much time you will end up spending painting a horde army. Do you like to paint vehicles, or are they the bane of your existance? Would your army choice require much custom work, either through greenstuff or plasticard, and are you ok with that?


The fluff aspect

Consider the fluff of the armies that you are selecting from. This may not be as important if you aren't a big fluff monkey, but for most people the background of their army is important. If you don't like communism, it's a fair call that Tau and their Greater Good may not appeal to you. Do you like the sheer barbarianism that the Space Wolves display, with their drinking of much ale and beardliness? Do you like the Tyranids for their need to simply consume and destroy all that stands in their way? Don't dismiss the importance of fluff, as it my well keep you inspired to keep going with your army when times get tough.


Competitiveness and Play Style

This is a touchy subject for a lot of people. Some people in our hobby collect armies just because they like the army as a whole, but some will jump from army to army to stay 'competitive'. Is the competitiveness of an army important to you? Do you mind if you don't win tournaments with it, or are you picking the army just for the sake of being competitive at tournaments? If you are a good enough player, you will find a way to make most armies (bar Necrons) competitive enough to at least challenge for a top spot at a tournament after spending enough time playing. In the same vein of thought, realise that some armies are best suited to specific play styles, broken down generally into three main structures - mobility, firepower and assault. Most armies will do at least one of these well, but chances are that if they are also good at another one of the two, chances are that the third aspect will be rather lacking. There are always those armies that are 'decent' at all three, but I think that analysing each army and their play style will quite quickly reduce or eliminate some armies from your list.


By breaking down my decision into these points, I was able to gain a very clear picture of just what my next army would be. I have selected the Raven Guard based on 'answering' my own questions from above.


Modelling and Painting - Now is a really good time to be collecting a Raven Guard army. For a Founding Chapter, up until recently they had received very little love from GW. However in the last few months, with Chapterhouse releasing their Pre-Heresy Jump Packs, Forgeworld's upgrade kits and some of the gorgeous GW models, including Shrike and Vanguard Veterans, it will be rather easy (but a little costly) for me to make my army unique. Awesome.

The fluff aspect - If any of you have read any of the Raven Guard fluff, whilst they are Codex Chapter, their approach to warfare has always intrigued me. They utilise scouts to obtain as much information as they can on an enemy, and will utilise whatever means they feel most appropriate to strike exactly where their enemy's weakness lies. Not only that, but the Raven Guard tend to have very little in the way of heavy vehicles, so entries such as the Predator and Land Raider would be likely to miss out. Fine by me.

Competitiveness and Play Style -  The Codex: Space Marines has become somewhat overlooked in recent times on the interwebz, due to the emergence of newer, shinier codicies such as Blood Angels and Space Wolves. However the C: SM should not be discounted just yet. By taking Shrike, my army gains fleet. This is no small benefit, and is somewhat underestimated. Fleet Dreadnoughts? Don't mind if I do!! Not only does it provide my tactical squads and Ironclads that little extra movement ability, but it means that my Shrike's Wing has an effective 18" to 24" range after infiltration. That unit's going to be all over you like teenage girls to Robert Pattinson.


Army selection is a very personal process, and each person's journey will differ. I hope though that these three pointers have at least given you a basis from which you can make your decision - if you get suck, perhaps write down on a piece of paper the aspects of an army that are important to you and you may find your decision easier.


Until next time!


Sladie







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home